Monday, February 22, 2010

Field Trip

Last Friday the 2nd grade went on a field trip to the Science Museum Oklahoma (aka The Omniplex).  We go there every year and it's pretty much the same experience.  Get the lunches.  Talk to the parents.  Get on the bus. Pass out arm bands. Set them free. Check on the kids. Talk to the my teacher friends. Supervise lunch.  Check on the kids. Round them up. Get on bus. COUNT the kids. Back to school. Go to bed early! 

But this year was different.  Not because anything crazy happened - it has in the past - but because of something else. JOY. Joy on the faces of my kids.  As I walked around and watched them experience these things I saw pure joy.  Many of them had not been there before and everything was new and fresh and amazing to them.  I was teary eyed watching some of them see a dinosaur or go down a huge tree slide.  We had no arguments, talking back, running off.  They loved it.  It just reminded me that this is why I do it.  Everyday trying and trying to make a difference even when I might not feel like it.  For moments like these in the middle of a field trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment