Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Books

The other day I went to the Edmond Library to check out some books on foster care.  One of my friends called me a dork for this, but whatever. :)  Anyway, I found a few and have been reading them. 
One is a autobiography written by a girl who was in foster care for most of her life.  It's called Three Little Words  .  It is very eye opening and humbling to read all she has been through and her perspective on it all. 
Another book was like a case study on foster care and contained a lot research and lots of true accounts from foster mothers about their experiences.  Reading that one made me feel scared, sad, hopeful, encouraged and again so humbled by the huge responsibility and selflessness that is involved.
Reading these books made me think back to jr. high school when my friend Kelli Adams and I would check out books about homeless people, runaways and halfway houses.  Our big plan was to run a halfway house for people and save the world.  Looking back on that now it seeems strange that we even were intrested in those things.  It makes me feel in a way like this desire that is in me has been here a long time. 

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, that is so cool that you are thinking of fostering. I believe it is a real calling. I hope that God blesses you and makes your path on this road very clear! BTW, glad that you are back to blogging! :-)

    ReplyDelete